Over the past month, YouthWorks has been laying the groundwork for the 2011-2012 school year session. We have worked hard to get everything ready for another successful year.
Preparing for the program this fall included:
- Conducting outreach activities at schools and community based organizations to increase the visibility of our program and encourage youth to apply.
- Confirming new and returning worksite mentors, for a total of 180 City employees volunteering as primary and secondary mentors this year.
- Updating program materials including manuals, timesheets, and training materials for the new program year.
- Hiring 5 Youth Leadership Team members and orienting them for the year’s activities.
- Receiving and carefully reviewing 319 youth applications to determine the best match with our program openings and eligibility requirements.
- Interviewing almost 200 youth, aligning youth interests, skills and experience with available internships.
- Hiring 145 qualified youth interns for school year internships.
- Providing 12 sessions of Pre-Employment training to provide hired youth with the information they need for success in the internship.
- Training new and returning mentors at our “Mentor Essentials” start of session workshop.
We look forward to a productive and successful year!