SF YouthWorks is Hiring!
The SF YouthWorks school year session application is available. We plan to hire up to 150 high school youth to work as interns in city government offices, libraries and recreation facilities. YouthWorks interns will work up to ten hours per week from October through April, and will be paid $13.00 per hour.
Applicants must be in the 11th or 12th grade, live and attend school in San Francisco, be interested in exploring a career in government, and have the ability to work at least 6 hours per week after school. Youth gain important work experience while learning about careers in public service.
***There are three ways to complete and submit your application:
1) DOWNLOAD: Download your application here, complete all questions and essays, and turn in your application at our office as soon as possible within the month of October 2016.
3) IN PERSON: Pick up a copy of the application from our office, complete it, and return it in person or by mail before the end of October 2016.
In order to be eligible to participate in SF YouthWorks you must:
- Be a resident of San Francisco
- Be in the 11th, or 12th grade
- Have time in your schedule to work a minimum of 6 hours per week during the school year or 16 hours per week during the summer. Most internships take place between 9am and 5pm on weekdays.
SF YouthWorks has placed interns within the following city government agencies and departments:
Note: Participating departments may be subject to change
- Airport – SFO
- Asian Art Museum
- Assessment Appeals Board
- Board of Supervisors
- Building Inspection
- City Planning
- Controller’s Office
- County Clerk
- Department of Children, Youth and Their Families
- Department of Technology
- District Attorney
- Ethics Commission
- Fire Department
- General Services Administration Department of Human Resources
- Human Resources
- Human Services Agency
- Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services
- Mayor’s Office of Housing
- Mayor’s Office on Disability
- Municipal Transportation Agency
- Police Department
- Port of San Francisco
- Public Defender
- Public Health
- Public Utilities Commission
- Purchasing and Contract Administration
- Real Estate Division
- Recreation & Park
- Redevelopment Agency
- San Francisco Unified School District
- SF Environment
- Sheriff’s Department
- Treasurer and Tax Collector
- Youth Commission
How do I apply?
SF YouthWorks has two application cycles: one in the fall (for the school year session) and one in the spring (for the summer session). Please check our website for the application at that time.
You can contact us at 415-202-7911 or SFYouthworksinfo@jcyc.org with any questions about our internship program.
“YW has been an outlet for me to get motivation and inspiration. It has helped me to be a respectful, mature and brighter person. My mentor has shaped my life for the better.” — Janicia Barfield, YW intern
“It is a one of a kind program in San Francisco. It teaches its interns to be responsible and to think about their careers. My mentor has really helped me to understand how to manage my time better and do new kinds of tasks.” — Sammy Kha, YW intern.